Sunday, October 7, 2012

Transformed by the power of God

We just got back home from a great weekend in Atlanta, our old home place. We lived there for 17 years, much of our children`s growing up years. When we left 16 years ago, we not only left behind memories but good friends. Although we don`t see them as often as we would like, when we get together, it is as no time has passed since we were together. Then.......... we look in the mirror, and as usual, that is a reality check!! But we still have fun, talking about old memories and making new ones.. Tom worked on Friday so I started my day meeting Starr. She is a busy lady these days, just as she was when we were living there and she had her three children. Only difference is now, she has those three grown children in town, with three new family members... their spouses and 9 grandchildren!! I felt very honored that she had a few hours to spend with me in between her grandmother duties! We had a nice lunch in Roswell at a restaurant, that was a house originally, and a small one at that. But.. this little town has become alive with people as the restaurants have opened their doors into the street and grass. They set up tables outside on the sidewalks and on the front porches and even on the grass! It was almost a European feel as we walked up and down the streets. We settled into our seats on the front porch and had a great salad as we caught up with life!
This is the yard, where they had blankets all out, waiting for families to come spread out with the little ones! Very different, but I liked it all... Starr and I have known each other for over 30 years, we have been through a lot together. It was fun to catch up! By night, it was time for Tom to get his high school football love taken care of. We met Shannon and Keith for dinner, then the guys went to the game. We girls took in a bit of shopping. The shopping carried over until the next day when we went to an outside festival. Fall was certainly in the air, it was hot and humid but a bit windy. A perfect day to walk around.
The Logues were our neighbors when we moved to Atlanta in 1979, so we go way back . Our boys grew up together then, they were there with us when Lara was born years later. We ended our weekend today, going to our old church, Johnson Ferry Baptist. That is actually the reason for this post... Not only was it a great message from our pastor, Bryant Wright... I was touched, as I was sitting there, by what I witnessed. The message was, "Transformed by the power of God". Truly He spoke to me as we were preparing for the sermon, singing the song... "We lift the cross, lift it high, lift it high." As I was singing I glanced in front of me, there was a young girl, she could barely move, her muscles were so crippled. She was all strapped into her motorized wheelchair with her Mother and Father sitting close beside her. She was on the front row, so she could see good and not miss any of the service. As the words were being lifted up, many had their hands lifted toward God. My eyes started to water, as I saw her crippled arms, wrists twisted toward her, but her arms. . . lifting up as high as she was physically able to do. She was singing and praising God, sitting by herself, from her chair, in the only way she was able to.... and her praises were going straight up to our Father, just as the others were. For that instant, we were all the same. She was singing His praises and lifting her voice to Him ,unaudibe to us but completely understandable to Him. He surely must have been gripping her heart with His love. She was transformed by the power of God, as only He can do. Physically, she was different, but in her heart, she was already transformed and will be whole with Him one day, just as we will be if we have Him in our hearts. As I am home, reflecing on my weekend and my day, I am reminded of another song we sang. I wrote it down because I had not heard it before.... "Amazed at who You are and who I am through You." I am sure this could be her life song, because I am amazed at who she is through Him. Have a great week, Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment