Sunday, August 4, 2013

Don`t miss your purpose

We had a great sermon this morning at church. It was just what I needed. Isn`t God good like that?!!

It started a few months ago, my mind wandering that is..... This is a big year for me. You see, it is my last year in this decade and that got me thinking..... realizing, mostly, that I have lived way over half of my life!! So, what have I done with my life? What do I want to do with the years that God is giving me to live from here on until I go to live with Him? What do I want to leave behind as my legacy? What should I change? What should I do more of? What should I say "NO" to, and what should I branch out and say "Yes, I can do that" to? 

No magic answers yet, just thoughts weighing heavy on my mind. I remember that last decade sneaking in on me and actually I was a bit down for a few days as I entered into it. But then, I woke up, back to the real world and felt so thankful that God had allowed me to enter it. My Dad did not make it to 50. He was only 45 when he died. So, yes, I had and have so much to be thankful for. Each day is a new blessing and I know that..... but this time around, it is not that same feeling. Just an urgency to figure it all out....

So, when I went to church this morning, I had no idea that our preacher would be preaching on exactly that. "Our purpose in Life."

He started out by saying that" if we get caught up in the busyness of life, the temporal things, that we could possibly miss the purpose of our life."  Wait a minute..... do you mean we could live a good life, volunteer for everything we can, raise our children into fine young adults, have friends, do fun things , stay busy with doing good things... and miss our purpose?   Yes, that is exactly what he was saying.....

Why are we here? What is our purpose? Are we a follower of Jesus? If we are, then we have been saved for one purpose...... the enjoyment of God.... yes, we know that... we can enjoy the good life and go to church and praise Him and live a good life and if that were the end, then well done.. But that is not the end of our purpose statement...... Our purpose is the enjoyment of God IN THE SPREAD OF THE GOSPEL FROM WHERE WE LIVE TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH.   WOW...

Not just to be a christian but our purpose, whatever we do, wherever we are, wherever we go is to share Jesus... not just to know him personally but to share Him.

Of course, I know that. I have grown up knowing that, but today, hearing him say this, it is just a reminder of our true purpose and where my priority needs to be.  We can lay aside the comfort but never lay aside the commands. We are to run the race of life together for the GLORY of God... The rewards of this race are huge... There is joy in our race...as we share Christ.. We were created to do so...

We have bulletins that we fill in the blanks as he preaches. It is a good way for us to remember what is said. It is a good way to know when the sermon is almost over! And it is a good way to save what we have heard and bring it back out later to read again.




I have lots of these papers stuffed everywhere in no particular order or place. But today, as I was listening and in between writing the answers down, with pen in hand, I started doing what I love to do... doodling... still listening but doodling all the same. I drew this little girl, and thought afterwards that she is young,  a young believer who is hearing this for the first time. She has her life in front of her... What a journey she has. But with these words in her heart, she represents the purpose God created us for....

So, I have colored her lightly and mixed media her for my journal page. I think I will mod podge her on some wood and hang her in the kitchen as a reminder to me.... when I look at her, to be sure each day, to not miss the purpose that I was created for. Not  to be too busy to miss what gifts, what opportunities that God has given me that day....  Are we followers of Christ? You can be a Christian and not be a follower.... great thoughts to ponder and keep in our hearts...

I mark off each day as I get closer to that next decade, and am thankful for each one that He has given me. I don`t think it will   be so bad after all, in fact I am looking forward to itll... Just another year wiser, right?!!

Don`t miss YOUR purpose....
Have a great day!!
Love,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment