Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas traditions

As I spent the afternoon in the kitchen cooking, getting ready for the next few days, it gave me time to reflect a bit of Christmases past. We had this one special dessert that mother made each Christmas called Charlotte. I don`t have any idea if that is the real name or if someone named Charlotte gave it that name somewhere along the way! But for whatever reason, that was the name we used. I never really watched her make it, or helped with it in years past, just anticipated it each year and enjoyed eating it!! This is the second year that I have had the privilege of making it all by myself. With her gone, it just fell into my lap to carry on the tradition. Mother always just made it, never complained about how long it took or how much trouble it was... well, I am here to tell you that is takes a long time to make and it is a lot of trouble!!! But like everything else that is tasty, this is certainly worth the trouble. It not only tastes delicious, but I get to use Mother`s special bowl that she only used once a year when she made her famous "Charlotte"! As I found the recipe and pulled it out, it was a sweet moment of remembering... the recipe yellowed with age, but still in her handwriting, it was a tender moment for me, to think back to Christmas, just a few years ago with her coming out after dinner with her crystal bowl, piled high with her Charlotte and passing it around for us to taste. I can still see her smile as we all put our spoons in and tasted it, complementing her as we always did, about how good it was!
The recipe is as follows 1 Tablespoon Knox Gelatin , soaked in 1 cup milk Heat mixture in top of double boiler and stir occassionally. Beat 5 egg yokes with 1 cup sugar, well Pour hot milk on egg yokes and return to double boiler Cook about 15 minutes or until fairly thick Beat egg whites, pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fold in 1 pint of whipping cream, already whipped Fold in egg mixture. Place in bowl and sprinkle with crushed graham cracker crumbs Cover and put in refrigerator. Let sit about 24 hours. Serves 10-12 Enjoy!!! As Christmas comes this year, I will look forward to serving my Charlotte after lunch and my heart will smile as I think of the tradition being carried on... Merry Christmas!! Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment