Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Celebrating Life, Part 2

As I got up this morning, still reflecting on yesterday and these past months with Laura Black, I was reminded of something that was said at her service.  Her friend said that when it is her time to go, she hopes there will be people to love on her so dearly as Laura was by her friends and husband.

That just brought back to my mind, pieces of her letters that she had written these last few weeks to her children. It was a deliberate choice she made. A deliberate choice to have friends, to make that decision to choose joy, in the midst of her trial and battle with cancer... She was obedient to God, and in doing so, people were drawn to her. Drawn to pray for her, to follow her journey. Yes, she was blessed to have family and friends and even strangers surrounding her and lifting her up in prayer each day as He was preparing to take her home with Him...

She wrote about friendship.....

  • Friendships are not an optional benefit; they are mandatory to the Christian walk.
  • Friendships take time. Invest in them.
"As Christians, we are called to fellowship with other believers. This not only provides accountability for believers, but will also prove to be one of the biggest blessings in your life. We are not made to walk this path alone. We are meant to do it while being engaged in friendships with other believers"
"The only thing you can control in life is your attitude. But that one thing that you can control is key to how much joy you have in life. In everything, there is something that is praiseworthy. Everything. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” Whether or not you choose to rejoice, pray, and give thanks is a choice. It all depends on your attitude. Don’t ruin your life with a, “Woe is me, oh don’t you feel sorry for me,” kind of attitude. Enjoy life. Grab life by the horns. Live life. Be filled with joy. Have an attitude of, “Yep, it was bad, but even that was praiseworthy"

Then.... in one of her letters, she addresssed death and dying,...


"Death is definitely the hardest thing to hand over to God. Even as a Christian, it’s so hard. I know where I’m going. I know when I get to heaven I’ll be able to breathe again, there will be no more coughing fits, my body will be completely healed and for the first time in my life I’ll hear Jesus say out loud, “I love you, too.” And all of that is beyond amazing. And yet, my heart breaks for all of the people that love me that will be left behind. I know you will be happy for me, but I also know that won’t be balm to your weary souls. My precious children, that’s why I continuously cry out to Jesus, “Lord, grant me the privilege of raising my three children!” But the one thing that brings me peace is knowing that you were God’s before you were mine and you’ll be God’s after you are mine. Whatever happens, He’s got this. You’re going to be okay. Even in death, God is trustworthy. Remember, He is always good and He always loves you. His ways are not our ways. His thoughts are not our thoughts. But He promises us that all things work together for good for those that love the Lord and are called according to His purpose
Death is individual, not a group activity. The saddest thing in the world I’ve ever seen is when someone dies physically and someone else dies emotionally, mentally, or spiritually because of it. I need for you to promise me that will never happen. I’ve had a wonderful life. It’s been filled with a million laughs, fun times, joy and happiness. One time someone told me, “Even if this season of life isn’t joyful, find joy in every season.” That’s one of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever heard. There is always joy in every season. Even in the saddest, most heartbreaking of times, you can find joy.
If I die, that doesn’t mean that you die, too. You have a great, big, huge, wonderful, awesome life ahead of you. Live it! Live every day. Be happy. Smile. Enjoy it. Thank God for it. "

What a legacy Laura Black left..... and will continue to bless so many lives by her words she so beautifully wrote.....


Have a wonderful day,
Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment