Wednesday, May 16, 2012

New York Bound!!

Tom and I got to New York yesterday afternoon for the week. He has business for a few days then has agreed to go with me to the NSS, National Stationery Show this weekend! Yea!! We haven`t been here for several years and I am excited to explore around the city.

Last night as we were leaving our room for dinner at 6:30, we checked the TKTS in Times Square to see what was 50% off . We found Jersey Boys listed and grabbed those $34.00 tickets for the 7:00 show. We have not seen it and were excited to be able to get the discount tickets for last night. The story line was a little slow but the music was great! If it could have been a concert with just the music it would have been awesome. Frankie Valli songs... I had forgotten some of the oldies that he did....

We stayed afterwards, just like teenagers, to get a look at the actors. Matt Bogart was a main character and we had seen in years ago in Smokey Joe`s Cafe, Miss Saigon and even a Concert in Irvington . He hadn`t changed in looks was still very friendly. He sure does still have  a great voice..


Today, Tom was in meetings all day so I ventured out by myself around 10:30. I started walking towards the fashion district and after not seeing too many stores of fabric, I asked a young lady, stopped at the light by me. I must say, she was my first encounter of the day and was sooo nice and helpful. She said for me to walk up the block with her and she would show me a great fabric store. She was from Ohio, originally, but has been here in NY for a while. She and her husband actually design clothing and sell to lots of stores around the city. Very interesting...

So I go in the front door, catch the elevator up to the second floor and walk into the BIGGEST fabric store that I have ever been in!! I just stood there in awe, looking around, deciding where to go first. The ladies were very nice to ask if I needed help, guess I looked lost!! They informed me that there was a basement as well as a top floor. I walked around the whole store at least 2 times, and was drawn back to the area with the silk florals. I picked out two pieces and got 1/2 yard each to bring home and make scarves. I think that I can get at least 3 and maybe 4 out of each piece because they were 54 inches wide..
Aren`t they beautiful?!! Can`t wait to get them cut out and started...

They had a whole wall of different colored tulle..... I got three pastel colors for future baby tutus...


Love the aqua and pale lime green... Of course we can find tulle in Birmingham, but I don`t think I have seen these exact colors! $2.00 a yard......

While I was there, I ran into a cute young girl from Georgia. We were both moving slow, looking around and started talking. She is finishing college next semester and is in fashion design. She showed me a jacket that she had designed, on her credit card, pretty cool! She was looking for fabric to make a project for her class this semester. She shared that she was thinking of starting a new line of clothes for hard to fit women....  I bet she would do great if she ended up doing that!  We ran into each other a few more times then headed out in different directions.



I went to several trim and button stores.... if you were in the market for evening gown  trims, those stores were the place to be!



Then... I came upon B&J Fabrics, which was up on the second floor. I guess that is why I had not seen these stores before on other trips here.  In the past, I would just walk down the street and go into the ground floor stores, who knew these jewels were inside the buildings on the second floor?!!


So, between these two stores, I found me a very small stash of things to take home . Here are the pieces that I got at this store, with appliques in mind....


I can`t forget to mention the sights that you see on the streets here.... most of the time, taking pictures would not be appropriate but I caught this lady from behind at on the of the stores, her taste was quite unique!

Now, I am back in the room, resting from my day! Next  big decision will be where to go for dinner!
There is a Barbeque place directly across the street from where we are, that we have been to before. I am thinking that sounds pretty good for tonight...


Nothing like New York at night!! Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment