Thursday, March 29, 2012

Baby shower favors

I have found some awesome ideas on pinterest for all sorts of things. This particular day, I was looking for ideas for some favors for a baby shower. I found these little shoes and thought they would be perfect. You could do the usual blue or pink, if you know the sex of the baby, but this shower`s theme is woodsie and animals that you would find there. I decided to go with those colors. I found some pink, grey, orange, green and yellow and started cutting out the patterns. I was surprised there were only two pattern pieces to use so that made it easy to cut and get ready. Next came the sewing part.

 I went with my husband on a business trip to Austin, Texas so I  packed up my supplies, knowing I would  have some alone time in the hotel. I was able to get them all stitched up around the bottom of the shoes with just a simple whipping stitch while I was there. Then trying to decide how to finish them off, I remembered some ric rac flowers that I had in the garage, packed up from Mother`s house. I had helped her make them years ago and almost gave them away when clearing out her sewing room.... but now, I got them out and tried a few of them on the shoes to see if they would work. Rebecca was over with me when I thought about them and we decided that they would work nicely. Lots of different color combinations.

This is how these little ric rac flowers are made and what you need to get started...
You just stitch the ric rac, about 10 inches, from point to point then tie off the thread to make a circle.
Run the wire through the whole in the middle, then loop the centers over and pull the wire back down.
Twist the extra wire around and add the green floral tape and then you have it!

I will post pictures later about how we used them to display at the shower. We are thinking about hanging twine on the fireplace and using clothespins to hang them for decorations.  But for now... here is the link to the  awesome blog where I got the idea from. She tells you step by step...

http://www.purlbee.com/felt-baby-shoes/

Come back in a few weeks to see more pictures! Have a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment