Saturday, April 6, 2013

Charcoal sketches

I was getting some sketches ready to scan for some new backgrounds that I am working on and started sketching out some faces, which I am really enjoying... I am loving to learn more about doing the features on the eyes... The eye, to me, can be the focal point of the whole look. I have so much to learn about these, but trying to experiment a bit... I picked up my charcoal pencil to give it a darker shade, and ended up using them to do the sketch and finish them up. This was a first for me, but I am liking the look of the charcoal pencil and how easy they smear and blend.

A friend of mine told me this week that her husband accuses her of being a craft hoarder! I could relate to that so much and sadly, guess I realized I am one too. I love to read creative magazines in the bookstore and usually end up buying them to bring home to add to my ever growing collection! But, what interests me most, is to find an artist that I really like, to go to her blog or web site and to see how she creates. If I am really lucky she will include art supplies that she likes to use. I make note of these and sometimes order, sometimes save the list for later. But that is how I came across my charcoal pencil last  night!! I had bought them after learning someone likes to use them on her work, and put them in my pencil cup to use one day. !! You just never know when you may need something, right?!! At least, I have them organized in my bucket of supplies!!



So today, I will share a few of my sketches using the charcoal pencils...





 
 


 
Check out the Sunday sketches here to see some awesome drawings. Great to be a part of this group!
Have a great day,
Love,
Jane

12 comments:

  1. I love charcoal pencils as well. I am an art material hoarder too. I still have things yet to be experimented with! I love the first girl she has lots of character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are adorable!!! Love the tones and the lips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane, these sketches are lovely...love the hint of colour you have put them..makes them really pop. I'm guilty of hoarding art supplies and things that may come in handy. You just never know.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, your sketches are amazing! I love the expression on the third one. I'm so much like you! I have so much craft stuff and love picking up crafty magazines, my favorite being Paint Works. I have only found it in one grocery store near me so I'm not sure how hard it would be to pick one up but they have all different mediums, typically acrylic, oil and watercolor but they do add colored pencil and pastels every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I like the charcoal sketches very much too you have done a great job on them. And ofcourse as most artists do I have a surplus of craft materials :)
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very elegant well sketched illustrations ~ Wow! ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha ha, crafts hoarder! aren[t we all.... we don;t even have a living room anymore, sorry to say..... cool sketches! Were the rosy cheeks digital addition? They look so perfect & round!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your faces and their lovely pink cheeks! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great, Jane. Really good. The third one is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. the charcoal really makes a nice strong contrast. They're really great. Love their soft pink cheeks. The third one is my favorite. I wish I had her hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so very lovely. I adore the look of the charcoal pencils. I tend toward collecting and hoarding supplies myself. Sometimes I have to commit to a period of time where I will only use what I already have...no new purchases. These are some of my most creative times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are wonderful. Love how you did the hair and I also love the pink cheeks.
    xx

    ReplyDelete