Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bound for the Promised Land

During the last few weeks, I have been brewing over a  new idea that was brought to my mind. It goes back a few months ago when a sweet friend of mine, told me how much she was enjoying some scarves that I had given her. I knew she loved scarves and after my Mother died, I had packed up a box of some of Mothers pretty scarves to share with Penny. She told me that she always gets compliments on them and never misses an opportunity to tell people where they came from. As she was telling a friend about them one day, the friend,Lucy, said that she too, had scarves that were her Mothers and didn`t know what to do with them. The next week, Lucy brought the box and shared them with the childrens teachers at CBS.

After I heard that story, it just was like a light bulb in my mind... (Those who know me, know that my mind is already crowded with ideas and thoughts about things to do or make!) But this was different. I thought ... "How many of us have extra scarves in our drawers at home?   I prayed about it and came up with a plan. I wanted to collect and recycle old, loved scarves. Whether they be in a drawer for years or not  even worn, or handed down from a loved one who has died, scarves that you don`t know what to do with, now, they have a purpose.

From that idea, "Bound for the Promised Land" was born. I wanted it to be a catchy name, about clothed, wrapped, or something about the scarves... so to have "Bound" in the title, seemed perfect. The scarves bind our heads, or wrap around our necks, and I wanted them to serve a purpose. I wanted them to be  a tool to share with ladies. Ladies who perhaps do not know about God, mothers who bring their children to see those how come to their country on mission trips. I wanted them to be something special for these ladies.

My mother loved scarves. She loved to wear them, she loved to shop for them and find the perfect one for her outfit. As I have been going through her things, it was important to find "homes" for her things. Homes with people who would love them like she did. With this ministry, it is a way to continue to share her with others. It is a tool to share God`s love and His message to others, through her and her love of scarves.

As I was still praying for direction, I was reminded that there are ladies right here, close to where we live, who may or may not know about God, but who are going through hard, dark, times with cancer and chemo and need to feel that "love" from God, through others. Just a reminder to them, that they are not alone in their journey. So, there are two directions right now for these scarves and I am excited to see what  doors open to us down the road. Doors to donate our scarves, which have been prayed over, folded and put in a bag, ready to be given to whoever God has chosen for that particular scarf.

Finally, I was working on the tag that will go with each one on the outside of the package.
I got some tags with strings from Office Max.... scrapbook paper,  old lace, a cross stamp, and a verse for the back that I printed off.. and I was ready to get started.

This is the process that I finished up this morning. I can`t wait to give the first scarf later this week, to a sweet Mother, who is going through chemo.

 As I finished the tags, I cut just a bit of lace, from Mother`s stash, to finish them off at the top and the bottom of the card.






 
This is a look at the back of the card, a verse that a friend helped me come up with ...

"A scarf for cover
a scarf for beauty
A scarf serves many purposes
but this scarf is especially for you
from your friends in Alabama,
women you may never see
but who share this scarf in love."

"I delight greatly in the Lord, my soul rejoices in my God
For He has clothes me with garments of salvation and
arrayed me in a robe of His righteousness." Isaiah 61:10

If you know of anyone who might need one of our scarves, just let me know!

Have a happy Wednesday!
Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment