Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Big Daddy`s Grilled Blue Cheese-and-Bacon Potato Salad

As I was figuring out what to have for Memorial Day Dinner, I was looking through an old Southern Living Magazine that I had laying around. When I say old, I mean May 2010!! Guess I better go through and weed out the old ones one day. The good thing with Southern Living, is that they always have great recipes and they never go out of style!

Anyway, I came across a page that said, "All-Time Favorite Potato Salads" and looke at all 5 of them.. This one, just stood out to me, when it mentioned bacon and blue cheese crumbs....

It says that it serves 6 and takes a total time of 1 hour and 5 minutes. I guess most of that time is the preparation of the potatoes... I didn`t have the grill going, so I used new potatoes and just sliced them in big chunks, skin and all, then boiled until tender... then after they cooled a bit, I started in with # 3 and tossed the ingredients, lightly..


It turned out really good and we all loved the crumbled blue cheese taste in it, something that you wouldn`t expect to taste in potato salad!  Enjoy!!

  • 3 pounds baby red potatoes, cut in half
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil $

  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 cup mayonnaise $

  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar*
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
  • 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
  • 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled $

Preparation

  1. 1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Place potatoes in a single layer in center of a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring up foil sides over potatoes; double fold top and side edges to seal, making 1 large packet.
  2. 2. Grill potatoes, in foil packet, covered with grill lid, 15 minutes on each side. Remove packet from grill. Carefully open packet, using tongs, and let potatoes cool 5 minutes.
  3. 3. Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add potatoes, tossing gently to coat. Stir in onion, blue cheese, and bacon.
  4. *Balsamic vinegar may be substituted but will darken the color

No comments:

Post a Comment